Insurance Coverage

If the insurance company will allow you to do so, then you can drop her from your policy. But, it’s always a good idea to give her some warning that you are planning to do this, especially if you are negotiating any kind of property settlement or alimony.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My wife and I have been legally separated for seven months and she is employed and lives in another state. There are no children involved in our three year marriage. It is time to change insurance plans at work. I have been supplying medical coverage for her during the past seven months. Can I drop her as being covered under my plan at work now? She is employed and working full time.