Insurance Coverage

Dear confused39:

Greetings. Yes, you are obligated to give her an insurance card. This is about your child’s welfare, not your new wife’s privacy. You should take care of the medical bills and insurance expenses now. Send a copy of every bill to your ex when you receive it. Keep a running total and send her a request for payment every month. When she does not respond after two months, have your attorney send her a warning letter. If she does not pay after three months, file a Motion to Show Cause. One motion to show cause should be enough to get her in line. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you for your reply.
How would the court calculate the cost of health coverage? There are 4 people on the coverage. Would all be 1/4th of the monthly cost? I assume this cost would also fall under the 50% that my ex would pay. If so, would I be wrong in adding this amount to the exsiting med bills that she has yet to pay? I think she has had enough time to make an effort to pay (since Jan. 2004).
One more question, what would be my chances of getting documentation showing where and what the child support is spent on?
Again, Thanks for your time.

Dear confused39:

Greetings. The medical insurance plan administrator can tell you how much of the premium your spouse pays is directly for your child.

No, the child support insurance premium would go on your side of the worksheet. The 50% your X would pay goes towards uninsured medical expenses. That is my assumption without seeming your agreement/order.

You have no control over what your wife spends the child support on. She can spent the child support on poodles, and that would be none of your business unless your wife is not providing clothes and food for your child. Sorry about that, but it is life.’

Finally, if you have not been sending her the detailed bills and telling her when you need payment by, you may be disappointed in court. Follow the advice.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Because neither party had insurance coverage at the time the worksheet was completed, it is not listed. Now that I do provide insurance and have since 1/1/04 should she not be helping with this cost. The order states that because neither party has insurance each agree to pay 50/50.
Thanks again.

Dear confused39:

Greetings. You can ask her to pay this, but she may also ask for the child support guidelines to be reapplied. I would ask her to pay. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

Just wondering?? I have sent my X copies of medical bills showing what her half is. The court order states she is to pay half. Knowing her track record and what she could try, (with correction fluid) should I send copies to her attorney as well? I’m sure she will be calling!

Thanks again for your response and this forum:)

Dear confused39:

Yes, you can also send a copy to her attorney as well. Just keep the originals!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
RosenDivorcecom
919-787-6668

Last year (2003) ex-wife took me to court for Child Custody and Child Support. The outcome was that neither of us had insurance at that time. As of 1/1/04 my (new) wife has added my daughter and myself to her coverage. The court order states that we are to both pay 50/50 on medical. As of current the ex has not paid for anything. She is calling requesting an insurance card. Am I obligated to give her one? This card has my wifes personal information on it. Am I not covered by the HIPPA law on this one?
Should I wait until child support ends before taking her to court for her half of the medical bills, or is this something I should take care of asap? I can’t afford to go to court for every vilotation of the court order that she countinues to break.
Any information would be great!