International Move with Child

My first suggestion would be that you find out paternity. If the child is not your husband’s then the rest may be not be an issue…I’m afraid I do not know what the “Parentage Aff.” is…

If the child does belong to your husband, then I suggest that you address the move with a revision to your custody/visitation agreement.
My opinion is to make sure it’s something that you can stick to. Please do not agree to cover travel expenses one way if you do not plan to follow through with this.

The Parentage Affidavit is a Court Order he signed that made him the father in the eyes of the law. It placed him on the birth certificate.

In that case, the courts see him as the biological father and a product of your marriage. If you want to dispute that then you will have to ask the attorney what the process of this is.
If you are not disputing then my original suggestion of addressing the move with the custody/visitation stands.

If your ex has acknowledged paternity of the child he still has legal rights to the child even if you learn that it is not his biological child. If you intend to move only a few months after the custody agreement is put into place you should bring it up now, if he contests your move in the future and you can’t prove anything has changed between the time you entered into your original agreement and now, you may run into a a problem when you try to move.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Here is the situation. My Ex is in Iraq, not due to military assignment. He will return home in Dec 2008 and will at that time divorce me. All issues will be resolved at divorce date. One note: I have basically raised the child on my own for he is hardly ever in the country.

Here is my question. After the divorce, there will be a custody/visitation agreement in place. I want to remarry and move to Japan. Should I address the international move in the divorce proceedings or hold off until 60 days before wanting to leave for Japan? Also, the seperated Ex may not be my child’s bio father, he has although signed Parentage Aff. If he isn’t, what role would that play in him not being able to stop me from leaving the country? I know this is crazy…try living it!!!