Issues that might arise from relocating


I am assuming that you have either a court order or a separation agreement that defines your custody and visitation schedule. If your order/agreement talks about relocating with the child, and any kind of notice or permission of the court that needs to take place before moving, then you must comply with those terms. If there is nothing in your order/agreement that speaks to relocation, and you and your son’s father can agree on new terms, it would be a good idea to have an amendment to your agreement, or a modification of your court order, just to be on the safe side. You should consult with an attorney about the specifics of making those changes in the visitation and custody schedule.

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I live in NC with my 12 yr old son, whom I have primary legal and physical custody of. I might be relocating to another state for job and family reasons, so I am wondering if any amendments or anything needs to be done here in NC before relocating?