Child Custody

If you move and she is deprived of her custodial rights you would be in violation of the court order. If you wish to move you will either need to get her to consent to a modification of the order, move and ensure that she is able to get all the custodial time available to her under the order, or file a motion to modify child custody with the court.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am the Sole Physical Custodianal parent there is no claouse say anything about relocation Just the parents have Joint custody to make all non emergency decsions


  1. I am relocating what action do I need to take with the Court

  2. The non custodial parent has weekend visitation and never exercised the two week period and with a 10 day notice that interfears with the move request her two visitation period outside of the terms 30 day written notice as requried of the Order what is reccomended

  3. The non custodial parent has been very difficult as have I , it took six months to locate her address and now I am out of time for any modification what should I do. Any suggestions would be helpful…