Relocation and visitation

The court order remains in effect, and can be enforced in any state. Her visitation rights would remain in effect even if you move. If moving will affect her visitation rights, then you may need to address this issue before moving.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am the custodial parent of my child and wish to relocate for employment. Their mother’s rights were terminated 6 years ago because she was an addict and then she died shortly afterward. There is a court order allowing her mother (their Grandma) visitation. what happens to the court order if we move and will it ever go away? Will she come after me in another state and what will happen if I decide to move back to this state?