International travel

I have physical and legal custody over my 8 years old son. He visits his dad every other weekend. Last year we both restricted each other to take our son from the country, this court order expired on January 1 2017. He refuses to renew one of my son’s passports, the one that is required for me to visit my country, however his American passport it’s still valid. Do I need a court order to authorize me to travel with him to another country or go on a cruise using his American passport?

You may need a court order to force the father to agree to international travel, but it is questionable whether or not a judge would allow this if the father does not agree. Your son can still travel with his United States passport but sometimes a parent traveling with a child and not with the other parent can be questioned about the consent of the other parent.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.