Interstate divorce & required court appearances


Dear Golfball:

First, congratulations on bumping yourself backwards…makes no sense to me.

Next, her attorney can just appear to file the lawsuit. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

If my STBX (moved out of state within 2 days of separation) wanted to begin lawsuit proceedings against me (for starting ED), does my STBX have to personally appear in court, or can just her lawyer show up? We’re not divorced yet, that won’t be happening until September.

Not that I think suing me for ED is really the way to go, given the circumstances, but I don’t think those are relevant to my question.