Isn't this contempt?

He is not in court until he actually violates the order. However, if you have proof he intends to violate the order, you can ask the court for an order preventing him from leaving the country.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Order states that WITHOUT CONSENT the parent wishing to take child outside of U.S. jurisdiction must notify the other parent 30 days in advance. I have inadvertantly found out my ex intends to remove my child from U.S. jurisdiction June 8 and had no plans whatsoever to notify me! He is NOW claiming that this trip is in the “best interest of the child” and if I do not consent to this trip, will present his side along with MY SON in “whatever forum is appropriate”. In other words, he’ll take ME to Court over his own violation of the Order! I do believe HE is in Contempt of Court! Am I not right?