Judge Ordered No Visitation in NC- Why Am I Paying Child Support?

If a judge ordered no visitation, do I need to call the child support office so that I don’t have to pay child support anymore? Isn’t child support based off of number of nights? I basically missed a court date for the permanent custody agreement and therefore the judge ordered no visitation. I’m just confused as to why I’ve been paying child support still… The order was ordered 6 months ago and I still have been paying and haven’t seen my son in 8 months. And this is in NC.

Child support is separate from custody, and likewise, the entry of a custody order does not automatically modify a child support order.

The payor of child support will still owe child support to the custodial parent even if the payor has no custody time or visitation. This was not a termination of parental rights proceeding. Therefore, both parents owe a duty of support to the minor child, regardless of whether one parent has visitation or not.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.