Can support and no visits

Child support and custody are two separate issues with the court. Child support must be paid even if the parent never sees or interacts with the child…
If you are supposed to have custody or visitation and are being denied, then file a motion to show cause for modification…

This isnt about me and visits… :slight_smile:

I am looking for information for my daughter for her senior project.
This is something that she has some interest in and I am trying to find laws and such she can use.


Yes, child support and child custody are separate legal issues and one is not dependent on the other. She is unlikely to find any case law on this issue because it is not a heavily litigated issue. If she reads the statutes she can see that neither statue refers to the other. Lack of support can be a grounds for termination of parental rights.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Can a judge in NC order a man or woman to pay support for their child but not order any type of custody or visitation?

Has this been done before?

If so do you know where I could start looking for the case information.

Thank you