Child support court


the show cause motion that you are going to court for will be just for that. Child support and custody/visitation are two separate issues. If she wants to change custody visitation she would have to file a motion with the court and schedule a hearing for that. Also, she would have to prove a change in circumstances and that it is in the best interest of the children to have custody/visitation modified.


The hearing is set for the issues regarding child support only. The judge will not hear matters relating to custody.

Erin E. Clarey
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Raleigh Office
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 943.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


im a single dad that has custody of two great kids, ages 6 and 9. here is my question. we have a scheduled child support show casue case for february. the ex-wife is behind 12 months (whooping $100 a month). there is a warrent out for her arrest that has been out for 6 months. anyhow…she wants to pay that off so she can appear in court. i think she is wanting to try and get some custody or visitation. can she bring up the visitation during that hearing…or would it be limited to the problem at hand…her not paying child support