Need advice

In order to address custody with the court you will need to file a complaint for Child Custody or if there is already a court order, you will need to file a motion to modify custody. I would begin by calling the clerks office in the county where you live and asking if you have a family court office. If there is a family court office they can assist you in scheduling a hearing after you have filed a complaint or a motion to modify custody. In many counties you will be required to attend custody mediation before the court will allow you to have a hearing on the issue of custody.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I need help on how to take my ex’s to court? Without getting a lawyer. Where do i go get the paper to set a court date. And how dose the process work. I’m trying to get more visitation rights for my kid. Any help would be appreciated.