Setting a custody date

If mediation was unsuccessful your next step is to attend a parenting class. Once you have attended the parenting class you can contact the family court office and ask for a date to set your custody issues for hearing. Once you get a date you will need to file a calendar request and notice of hearing and serve them on the opposing party.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

how do I file for a motion to determine custody? my ex and I have had mediation and it did not work out, how can I set a court date for custody especaily since there is abuse involved, (my 5 year old was spanked with a belt resulting in bruises, which I reported to the police dept.and subsequently, the uncle that did this was arrested, he is the children’s babysitter when my ex works.)