Just served papers via sheriff, now what?

Late last night I had a sheriff come to my door with divorce papers. I’ve been looking at them and the date is from February. I should have 30 days to respond from yesterday, not the date on the paper, right?

Correct, you have 30 days from the date of service to file an answer or a motion for extension. There are some circumstances where a court may enter a divorce judgment before any extension has expired, so be careful. If you need to assert a counterclaim for equitable distribution or alimony, you should do so promptly.