No answer to complaint


My ex did not respond to the divorce complaint after I waited the 33 days after the sherrif served them. I filed part two of the paperwork and received my court date. Can my ex still submit their response now?


A defendant can answer the complaint at any point before a default is granted or a final judgment is entered.


Thanks so much for your response. Is my ex able to ask for a continuance at this point (now that the 33 days have passed)?


He/she can ask, but extensions are usually only granted if the initial period to respond to the complaint has not yet lapsed. This doesn’t mean that a clerk may make a mistake and grant a motion for an extension. If that occurs, and the issue is raised at the divorce hearing, you can tell the judge that the extension was granted after the initial 30 days had expired.