Laws of North Carolina


Dear spots498:

Greetings. In order to get a divorce in North Carolina, you do not require the other party’s signature. It sounds like your girlfriend does not have the right documents OR does not understand the correct procedure. Either way, you may want to talk to an attorney about this so that they can help you move her divorce along to a close. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My girlfriend and I are engaged and planning to wed. Our plans are on hold right now. She is still married, but legally seperated for 6 years. She has twin girls. She found out she was pregnant after they signed a seperation agreement. She has had full custody and he has not shown interest in the children. She went and filed for divorce several months ago. The problem is he will not sign the divorce agreement. Is there any thing I can do and can she do anything to get around getting his signature on the divorce agreement.