Legal Fees

Dear TeLyn2:

Greetings. Yes, there are some attorneys that may do equitable distribution on contingency fees, however I don’t know them. Instead, I recommend that you immediately file and calendar a Motion for Interim Distribution and ask the court to distribute some funds to you in order to get funds for attorney fees. Thank you and good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I are in the middle of a contested divorce case. I was all for a settlement agreement and then he flipped the script and decided to hire a lawyer and they filed a complaint for child custody, child support, equitable distribution and attorney fees. He earns more money than I do (he makes $80,000 and I make $44,000) and we have joint property. He emptied out the bank accounts and I don’t have access to any funds up front. I’ve tried to get a line of credit on our home (which I am still living in) but can not, because he will have to sign the paperwork–And he is not going to do that!! He wants me to fail and fall financially. He knows that I am “financially challenged” right now and continues to file court papers. I paid a law firm $7,000 as a retainer fee with the expectation of a settlement agreement—but my time frame with them has expired. Now, in order for them to continue to represent me, I must come up with $8,000 more to go to court–which I don’t have!! So now I find myself without a lawyer because of the legal fees. Are there any lawyers that will take this case and allow the client to pay at the end? We have two homes and retirements, I know that with equitable distribution, I will have the money–only at the end though. I am in need of HELP!!! I am affaid of losing everything I’ve worked so hard for!! He will walk away with everything—even our son!!