Legal Quagmire


Dear mro214:

Greetings. I would need to see both agreements to give you an answer. Sorry.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


</font id=“Arial”></font id=“blue”>
Hopefully, someone will be able to guide me here.
My former spouse and I signed a sep agreement w/ consent order in NC in 1987. There was an attempted reconciliation and in short, we entered into another sep agreement while I was stationed in Italy in 1989.
My former spouse has registered the “old” agreement in 2 states as a foreign judgement (one overturned since)and is currently having my military retired pay garnished using same. The new agreement modified (reduced) the amount of money she was to receive but she has chosen to ignore this document and pretend it does not exist.

At this point, neither of us are NC residents. Can I have the “new” sep agreement attached to the original agreement as a modification or what options do I have to attempt to get this situation corrected.