Legal separation/divorce


It appears that you are talking about filing an answer to the divorce complaint. If you have already signed a Separation Agreement, it will not be affected by the divorce. Unfortunately, if you have signed a legally binding separation agreement, it will not be changed by the divorce. You should take your agreement in to review it with an attorney as soon as possible. You should also file a motion to extend time to answer the divorce complaint so that you extend your time to officially respond.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


My husband and I began our legal separation Nov of last year the waiting period it up in four days.I was pushed into signing a separation agreement with division of property. It was done without my having an attorney and was not fair to me. My husband had already conned me into signing away my rights to our marital property a few years earlier. I thought we were putting it into a trust. We were but my name was not on the trust. I want to file an answer by Nov. 19 and I can not afford an attorney.What exactly does it mean to file an answer and can I do this myself?