Filing agreement

If you have an attorney then they will keep a copy on file while you and your stbx should both have a copy also. There is no such thing as filing for separation in NC. You separate. You have a separation agreement. Then after the one year one day separation requirement, you can file for divorce. If there are disputes about ED, child support, child custody, alimony, then the courts can look back to the agreement that was signed to see which of you did not follow the agreement and determine what, if anything, should be done.

You do not have to file a copy of your Separation Agreement. It is a legally binding contract once it is signed.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

When I receive the separation agreement that my STBX has (supposedly) signed and had notarized, who do I file it with and how do I do that? We live in Cabarrus County.