There is a sample separation agreement on the home site here but an agreement would be whatever you make it. NC does not recognize the status of legal separation as in filing a separation agreement. You are separated the day that you and your spouse begin to live separate and apart from each other. The separation agreement is just to “settle” things that may otherwise have to go to court like equitable distribution of marital assets and debts, child custody, support, alimony. With the agreement, you both sign and have it notarized and you both get a copy.
Also, there are “Do-it-yourself” divorce kits at some of the local office supply places and online.

There is a great deal of information available on our website and we have many free seminars.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I’m looking to get seperation papers and don’t know how too go about it. I have no extra money for this . Is there help out there for me?

Victoria Lisk