Generally the issues you are describing would be handled in a Separation Agreement. If you intend to do one on your own, you should make sure you review it with an attorney first to avoid jeopardizing your legal rights.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Perhaps I am just overwhelmed or just can’t find the answers but what is the process for gaining separation.

How do we deal with bills and visitation while we are separated? Do we attempt to draw up our own separation agreement? Both of us sign it and have it notarized? Does it need to be filed in any court or do we just both have a copy? Neither of us can afford to move out until we would sell the house and I know that any year period would not begin until we are living in different dwellings.