Separation advice

Before considering separation you should meet with an attorney to discuss a consulation and the specific facts of your case. It would be impossible for me to address all the legal issues you may encounter on the forum. You may want to read this article on our website; … ticles.asp

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Speaking from experience, do NOT move out for any type of separation (“trial” or otherwise) without some kind of agreement. Once you’re out of the house-you are separated, and you can’t get back in. You MUST protect yourself. If she wants a ‘trial separation’ you need to spell it out, it’s terms, it’s length…everything in an agreement.

Please go see an attorney.

My Wife wants us to have a trial separation. We have 3 kids under the age of 14. In her mind this means we moving out. Living together is no longer possible its to much stress on me and not good for my children. If I do move out will this hurt my case if she files for a divorce later. What can I do know to protect myself, is a separation agreement the way forward? I really need some advice and an attorney that cares about my case and family needs.