Leaving the house

You can find out general information at any of our free seminars, there is also quite a bit of beginning information on our website. The best place for you to start might be with a consultation with a lawyer who can advise you on your specific situation. If you have any specific questions I can answer them on the forum. Before you move out you should definitely meet with a lawyer who can advise you before you move out.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have been married for 16 years (2 kids) but for the last 4 it’s not working. My wife and I have been talking of separation but when it comes to take actual steps she says it’s not the time to do it. She says she wants to give it another opportunity. She’s in denial and I think that we’ll be able to arrive to a civilized agreement once she faces reality. I think i need to get myself an apartment and leave the house but I’m worried about negative consequences that might have for custody and property.
what do I need to do to be covered?