Where to start

First off, do not move out. Sorry to say that, but if you move out things will get more complicated with the house. Talk to an attorney. If you are in danger, talk to an attorney.

I would start by consulting with an attorney and getting some advise specific to your facts and situation. There is also some information available on our website regarding Equitable Distribution. The first step in getting a divorce is starting your separation and to do that, you actually need to live separate and apart. If he is willing to move out, that would resolve some of your issues.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

my husband and I have a house and a car together. he is on drugs and i want out. how do i go about getting a divorce without losing the house to him or having to sell. we both work, i make more, the house is in both of our names, and so is the car, no children together. i just want out and to keep the house.

any advice is appreciated