Separation Agreement


there are sample separation agreements online. the top part has to be a certain way and then you can put what you’ve agreed to. you should file it with the clerk of courts office. that way it’s on record.


Dear equipiratefan72:

Greetings. You need to get a separation agreement drafted by an attorney - even if you agree. Agreements are made because situations change and agreements that are not in the proper format in writing are not always enforceable, which will leave you going to court. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Good afternoon. I have a question. We have decided to separate and know we need a separation agreement. We have 3 children and she is fine with sharing custody because we will live close together. We have come to agreements on basically everything. My question is do I need a certain type of form for this or can we just type something up and have it notorized and would that be good enough? Do we need to file this in a court somewhere or just having it in a safe place good enough? Thanks for any and all help!!!