Seperation Agreement

Dear shaimaa:

Greetings. Please use the search function in the upper right hand portion of the screen to look up the term “legal separation.”

Please note that you do not “file” for a legal separation in NC. Instead, you are legally separated when you stop living together and one of you intends for the separation to be permanent.

My advice is that you go and speak with an attorney and have them write a letter to your spouse about your intent to separate. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hi ,
My husband just left for business to Europe. He is having a relationship with another woman and I need to file for seperation. he is not going to be back until 10/18/05. He is going to be back for two weeks and then back to Europe for 3 more months. I woild like to have a legal seperation in place as soon as possible. I need to know my options to have things in place while he is gone. Can I have a legal seperation without his signature? What can I do if he refuses to sign? Thanks.