Dear buddyashhh:

Greetings. Please note that you do not “file” for separation. Parties are legally separated in NC when they live in separate residences (not just separate rooms in their house). Instead, you want to have a separation agreement drafted and negotiated with your spouse while you wait to move. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I’m curious on the steps to take to file for seperation–Can you file for seperation even if you are still maintaining the same address? I’m curious on this because I’d like to go ahead and file for seperation, but we will not be able to afford a seperate place to live for at least 2 months.[V]