OK....Now what


If you do a search on this forum, I’m sure you will find the answer.


rosen.com/messageboard/topic … ce,hearing
rosen.com/messageboard/topic … ce,hearing
rosen.com/messageboard/topic … ce,hearing


Dear justdonald:

First, camstuf is right and you can find a lot of answers to your questions by searching through the forum.

Nevertheless, let me help you with your specific questions:

  1. You may be able to file your separation agreement with the Register of Deeds in the county you live (depending on the terms of the agreement) or you may need to draft, sign, notarize, and file a Memorandum of Agreement. No matter whether or not you file your agreement, once it is signed and notarized, it is valid.

  2. You must wait one year and one day after the date of separation to file for divorce. Look at our do it yourself divorce forms and explanations and get back to me with any other questions. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


The separation agreement is signed and notarized by both parties.

What do I need to do? Send it to whom for filing with the state?
How do I get a divorce hearing?