Legal seperation

Dear Junko:

Greetings. First, I do not know the laws in California, but if your spouse is a resident of North Carolina and so are you, you need to file an action here in North Carolina AND obtain an attorney in California to file a motion to dismiss this matter. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband states that he filed for legal seperation while in California, and he told the attorney that his home is in North Carolina. He than said said that they will file the necessary documents for him. Can two different states do that?