Lost job child support



I have been paying my child support on time but will lose my job in two months. I reached the end of my contract with the military. How do I go about getting a change as I definitely can’t afford the payment once out as I will be doing volunteer/intern work initially while in university. I have called the enforcement number for the county but was told to get a lawyer and they will only review every 3 years. I should add, the money that I would have to give a lawyer would be an extreme hardship on myself and would exacerbate the issue of affording the child support payments. Thanks for any help. I just want to do the right thing.


You can file a motion in the cause to modify your child support order. Child support can be modified when there is a substantial change in circumstances affecting the welfare of the child(ren). This can be show by, among other things, a substantial and involuntary decrease in the non-custodial parent’s income or a voluntary decrease in either parent’s income.