Modification of alimony without limit



I was divorced in 2004 and have been paying $2000 / month in alimony. This was specified in a separation agreement which was incorporated into the divorce. It was not court ordered.

In the separation agreement, no end date was specified. We were married for 13 years and I have been paying the alimony for the past 14 years.

I have had two children since 2004 ( 10 and 3 ). I am solely responsible for the 3 year old and share custody of my 10 year old.

I have worked two full time jobs since 2004 to be able to afford the alimony payments and meet my other financial obligations.

I would like to modify the alimony so that it is completely removed or substantially reduced or at least an end date specified.

I understand that largely depends on changed financial state, but I am concerned that since I’ve been working two full time jobs for so long I won’t be able to show via tax returns that I can’t afford the payments.

But I am 52 and am tired of working two jobs and would like to be able to start saving for retirement.

Is there any basis for modification based on length of time payments have been made? What would I have to show to get the alimony reduced or eliminated? I want to take some action on this as soon as possible but I don’t want to throw good money after bad if there is little likelyhood that I can get a change approved in the courts.



Since your alimony terms have been incorporated into the divorce judgment, then you will have to show that there is a substantial change in circumstances has occurred since the alimony terms became incorporated. Unless your income has been reduced due to no fault of your own (i.e. you weren’t terminated/fired from a position) you may not be able to show the required substantial change in circumstances.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.