Alimony reduction/modification

It all depends on how long was the alimony ordered. If the alimony was ordered indefinitely, then with a “significant change of circumstances” the court would have the discretion to modify the original order. Significant changes would include an increase or decrease of either person’s salary. If the order was for a limited period of time, it would be a little harder. Basically, your circumstances would dictate whether or not asking for a modification would be worthwhile. Talk with an attorney. Considering the amount of money you’re paying in alimony, attorney’s fees might be a good investment.

Richard “Bert” Diener
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1535 direct voice
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Can you ever get your alimony reduced/modified?
If so what are the conditions to which a judge would consider. I was left with $1,000 a month to live on and my ex gets $3,000 a month plus a 3% increase every year. I am over 50 and have had to acquire a second job just to make ends meat(for 5 years now). My ex has a good job and makes about 60,000 a year plus what I give her and I around 85,000 with my one job. I am having a difficult time working around 15 hours everyday just to maintain a poor living. I don’t mind paying alimony it’s just the amount that is basically killing me. Any suggestions?