Modification of Child Support for Work Search Childcare


I want to complete a post decree modification of support for work search child care. I have a child that is about to be 30 months old and I would like to go back to work. I was wondering if you had any opinion on how much (in regards to time) childcare will be covered. I am told by social services that I should be job searching 40 hrs a week. (Seems unrealistic…) When it comes to cost of care, I have complied a list of 7 providers and their rates. Very few of them offer part time rates. You pay full tie rates regardless of use. The few that have part time or drop in care are excessive in costs. Could you venture a guess/opinion on whether a judge would consider granting 60 day increase in support? I am not trying to swindle anyone but I do realistically need childcare in order to find a job. Thoughts?


In order to modify a child support order there must be a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the child. Since your order is not three years old yet (your child is 2.5 years old), you may not have enough to prove that there is a substantial change in circumstances allowing you to modify the child support order.

If you can prove a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the child, a judge may enter a temporary modification of a child support order although this is not typical.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.