Child support modification

You could file for a motion to modify child support and the court may make a temporary modification until your job improves. If you are entitled to unemployment compensation those payments would be included in the child support calculation. If your child is in pre-school this expense would only be included if it was a work related day care expense.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I got fired from my job and I was wondering if that was grounds to modify child support until I found a new one. I am the custodial parent and I have sole custody. The child receiving the child support is going to start to suffer if I don’t get a job soon. When I was trying to handle this with his father with out going into the legal world all his father told me was that is my problem just take him out of preschool. If I were to take him out of preschool I don’t have anyone to watch him while I find a job. I would also run the risk of loosing his spot in that school and having to find a new one that cost more or finding that currently all school are full and being stuck with out a day care. For me the situation is no money=no house. Me and my child can’t live on the streets. I would loose my child because he would take me to court. His father has not see him in over a year.(that is my his choice and I am not stopping him from seeing him)