Child Support on unemployment


Dear mdooris:

Greetings. You MUST file a motion to modify your child support. You cannot, on your own, simply reduce your child support. You can get a copy of the motion to modify child support from the child support agency in your county.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I currently have a child support order in place requiring me to pay $703 a month. I have been on unemployment since Oct 9, 2004, and was wondering if I was still required to pay the same amount ($703). I am receiving $1616 a month from unemployment. Do I need to file a motion to have the amount reduced or can I just pay a lower amount, if any, while on unemployement without going through with filing a motion?