Modifying support

Here are some questions:

  1. Where is her legal residence - at your home or his?
  2. Who transports her to this school?
  3. If/when she was not attending the school where would she live?
    Support amounts are affected by who has the child overnights and this is determined by the custody arrangements. Support pays for upkeep of households, utilities, clothing, medical, expenses for the child, etc.

Dear kurt:

Greetings. Yes, it may be possible to have child support reduced or changed - is someone paying for school? If so, then I doubt you are going to get it changed. Have her contact child support enforcement agency. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My Wifes ex husband receives child support for her dayughter who was living with him full time at the time of the Order. Now she attends a magnet school that has free room and board. On a normal month she only visits him one weekend. With summer, holidays, etc., she spends less than half a calander year resising at his house. Is it p[ossile to have child support reduced to reflet this new living condition? This started last August but she still has another year. My wife is a ssuming she can’t get any retroactive changes but she hopes it will begin on the hearing date. Does she have a case here?