Monetary Support During Separation


I have been separated from my spouse for one year and a half. We do NOT have a signed separation agreement.

I have been providing my spouse with alimony and child support. Due to financial difficulties, I plan to reduce the amount of alimony I am providing. What legal recourse does my spouse have?

My spouse has threatened to get a judgement for the amount I have been paying previously and garnish my wages if I don’t pay. Is this possible?

Thank you.


If you are voluntarily paying her alimony you may reduce the amount without recourse. The court may look to the amount you have been paying when it considers an amount to award, but it will not be determinative.

Alimony payments can be ordered via wage withholding in any case.