Mortgage Interest and Property Taxes

My wife and I are separated and I am paying child support under a temporary separation and support agreement. During 2016 my wife and I each paid half of the mortgage on our residence. I plan to file taxes as Married Filing Separately.

Recently I ran across the following statement on a n NC divorce site:

"But, if you own a qualifying home as “tenants by the entirety,” you can only claim property taxes and mortgage interest that you alone paid. "

My wife and I operated under a verbal agreement . I gave her a check for $1000 for my half of the mortgage each month she would deposit it in her account and then right a check to the bank. . Will this be enough to support my claim for one half on the mortgage interest and taxes or will I need more documentation?

Thank you

Short of a written agreement, this is likely enough to prove you paid one-half of the mortgage payment if you can prove this was done each month.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.