Mortgage Not Paid

My ex is still in our house. He is saying he is unable to pay the mortgage, property taxes, and HOA fees. I’m on the deed but not on the loan so I can’t get info from the mortgage company. Is there anything that can be filed to make him leave so that I can move in and take over what he can’t pay? Or can anything be filed to get the mortgage company to talk to me? I don’t want the house to go into foreclosure and he won’t give me any info. In December we had a lien because of unpaid HOA fees. I was able to pay what was owed and they removed the lien.

My claims for divoece and ED are pending.

You can file a motion for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction (this is not the same as a domestic violence protective order) requiring him to pay the mortgage in order to avoid liens, foreclosures, and unnecessary waste of marital property.

You can also file a motion for interim distribution and ask either that the house be distributed to you so you can move in and take possession of the mortgage, HOA dues, etc. (and it can be court ordered that he turn over the mortgage information) or that the mortgage be distributed to him requiring him to pay the mortgage until equitable distribution is finalized.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

1 Like