Motion to Modify Custody

In looking through the requirements needed to file a Motion to Modify Custody, I see at least some counties require the parents to attend parenting classes before a motion can be filed. Is this on a per-county basis, or do all counties require that?

I live in Wake County
The soon-to-be ex lives in Lincoln County.
We currently have joint custody, and the children live with her, and I have visitation.

If I file a motion to modify custody, would I need to attend classes before I could do that? And would it matter if she was agreeing to the custody change, or opposed it?

Many counties do require mediation and parent education prior to trial. If you agree you may enter into a Consent Order prior to the required deadlines for classes and mediation.