Moving within state with children

No, as long as the parties can keep the original schedule, then there is no change in circumstances. The parties also have the option of working something out between them if they can. A move in and of itself does not automatically qualify as a change in circumstances, it would also have to have a corresponding impact on the custody schedule.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Is there a limit to the distance within NC that a custodial parent may move without it constituting a change of circumstances? I have custody of the children, and their father lives 45 miles away, a consequnece of his choice to remarry and move away. If I now want to relocate within the state, and move 150 miles away from their father, what would I need to do? Is there a requirement that I give him some kind of official notice for that kind of thing? And would it constitute a change of circumstances that could re-open the visitation arrangement? He currently has every other weekend, and the move would not necessarily require that the schedule be changed, but the travel distance would obviously be longer between our houses. I would be relocating to take a better job and to move closer to my family.

Thanks for any help or advice!