Ex is moving back to NC


Dear ZJinNC:

Greetings. Yes, the move would constitute a change in circumstances. Sit down and talk with her and only agree to what you believe is in your child’s best interests. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My ex and I did a mediated agreement two years ago in March. She then moved to TN with her new husband. Our agreement was that we had joint custody, that our daughter live with me through the school year and she’s with her mother for most of the summer (I get her for two weeks during the summer). She visits her mom once a month for a long weekend during the school year as well as spring break, and we rotate major holidays.

My ex has now informed me that she is moving back to my city in NC. She wants to meet with me to discuss this change and I’m sure to see how to modify it.

I fought very hard to have my daughter stay with me, because I don’t feel her mom is a good role model and it’s in her best interest to spend the majority of her time with me.

Does this move constitute a change in circumstance? What are my options and what should I do?