I already live 60 minutes from x-spouse. We have two children, our order says if I need to locate further than distance currently live we have to go to court. My new spouce is being relocated by his employer, and we would be two hours away. This move would need to change custody order, X-spouce has overnight on Sunday’s and takes to school on Monday mornings two weekends in as row. I could never leave my children, do judges make small changes to custody for relocation?


Judges will issue orders allowing for a parent to relocate with the child. The key is to demonstrate how the move will be in the child’s best interest (not yours or your new spouse’s). To learn more about this topic, see our article: Child Custody and Relocation.