Relocation/move away

I understand no one can not predict what a Judge will do in a case, however, has a judge ever allowed a mother (primary parent) to move away. Basically I want to know if there is any real possibility for a judge to allow a primary parent to move away, or do the majority of judges say absolutely not? If so, can you give me some examples of when a judge has allowed this? Thank you.

Yes, it is possible for a judge to allow a primary custodial parent to relocate with the minor children over the objection of the other parent.

You must be able to show that a relocation to the new town is advantageous and beneficial to the minor children and that it is in the best interests of the minor children for the relocation to occur. Judges will be looking for evidence to be presented regarding schools and education opportunities, cultural experiences and opportunities, location of extended family and how close the minor children are to the extended family, medical care options and availability (especially if a child has a special medical concern), the bond and relationship currently existing between the minor children and the other parent, etc.

These cases are very fact-specific and vary greatly from case to case.

Check out our Child Custody Relocation Resource on our website - this page has many detailed articles about relocation and child custody cases and different types of relocation (for example: relocating for a job, relocating for a remarriage, relocation to be closer to family, etc.) which you will likely find useful.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.