There are many different ways this can be handled. If your Husband does not object to the move than you can both work out visitation and you can move. If he does object, you can go to court and see if you can get a visitation schedule worked out that works for both of you. I would recommend that the two of you discuss it and work it out if possible.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been separtated from my husband for 11 months now and we will be filing for divorce in a month. We share custody of our 3 year old daughter with myslef being the primary. He sees her every other weekend. I have been offered a job that would require my daughter and I to move 120 miles away. How are situations like this typically dealt with? What is the process that I would need to go through and does he have to consent? Thank you!