Planning for an out of state move with kids


The safest way to handle this would be to negotiate an agreement that allows you to leave the state in advance of your intended move. This would lay out the specific visitation schedule and prevent any misunderstandings.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I’m planning on an out of state move with my two children (girls 6 and 8) this June. While my husband doesn’t spend much time with the girls, I don’t think he’ll want me and the girls moving to Arizona (I have a good emotional support system there). He usually spends his weekend evenings at his friend’s house drinking. Is there something I can do now to help keep my children with me? I intend to allow ample visitation with them.
Thank you in advance,