NC 529 account and prenup

I have been separated for 7 months and still negotiating the separation agreement. We had a prenup which listed assets that would remain separate. I had a NC 529 account for my son from before the marriage. Husband contributed to the 529 account during the marriage.
Th 529 account is not specifically listed in the prenup but states :

" . Unless a particular piece of property is explicitly documented as being owned by both parties, the following types of property will not be deemed as shared property:
a. any property owned by a party at the date of execution of this Agreement;"

Is this sufficient to prove that the 529 account is my separate asset and not marital subject to division?

Thanks.

Yes, this is likely sufficient to show that the 529 account is your separate property and that any contributions your husband made to the 529 account during the marriage were voluntary and could be considered gifts.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.