Need some Answers

Dear emDean:

Greetings. I do not know Pennsylvania law, so I cannot advise you on what he can or cannot do, as when the baby is born Pennsylvania law will control the matter. Until the baby is born though, you can move anywhere you want and he cannot stop you (ie. stop the baby) from moving. If you have the baby in NC and you are living here then, I doubt he could make the baby move back to Pennsylvania.

Yes, you could still get child support from him by filing here in NC and they will garnish his wages where ever he is in the U.S.

Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I need some Questions answered. I live in Pensylvania and I’m having a baby. I’m due in April. My ex left me when I was three months along. I need to know if he can stop me from moving to North Carolina. If I will recieve child support from him if I move to another state.